- What information we or third parties may collect when you use the Urban One Services;
- How we may use and share information we collect about you; and
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information and make related requests.
Information We Collect and Use
For purposes of this Policy, “Personal Information” is any information that identifies, related to, or describes, directly or indirectly, an individual or household. In the course of operating our Services and delivering our products and services, we collect and process categories of Personal Information described below. We use this information for typical business and commercial purposes (including compliance with legal obligations and use for auditing, security, and anti-fraud purposes) and as described more specifically below.
Sensitive Data and Automated Decision-Making: At this time, Urban One does not knowingly try to gather sensitive categories of data about individual users or engage in profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning individuals users.
Information You Give Us. When you interact with us in person (including at live events) or use the Urban One Services, we may collect and store Personal Information you provide, including:
- Personal Identifiers. We receive personal identifiers (such as your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, social media identifiers, user account details, and similar identifiers) and use them to respond to and complete your requests, fulfill your orders for products and services (e.g., signing you up for email lists, enrolling in the One VIP debit card or purchasing tickets), and to communicate with you for informational purposes (including sending you order confirmations, notices, updates, invoices, and security alerts) and marketing purposes (including sending you news, promotions, special offers, information, information about a station text club you enrolled in or to offer you other products and services that may be of interest to you). We may also use this information to communicate with you about sweepstakes or contests, or to process and deliver sweepstakes/contest entries, correspondence, and prizes. We may also create internal identification and reference codes to identify you in our electronic systems. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications or update your preferences (see “Your Rights and Opt-Out Choices,” below).
- Communications and Submissions You Send Us. We collect the information and content you submit through contact, enrollment, sign-up, survey, and purchase forms, through your posts and interactions on social media platforms, and through email and telephone communications and other submissions to us through our Services (including product and service reviews, social media interactions, enrollment in text clubs and responses to text club communications, contest and sweepstakes entry submissions, and service requests). We use this information to respond to and fulfill your requests, establish and manage our customer relations and customer service, and to provide and improve our websites, products, and services.
- Commercial Information. We collect and generate commercial information and transaction information (such as records of products and services purchased on our websites, services you have enrolled in and purchases made using the One VIP debit card). We use this information to respond to and fulfill orders, improve our product and service offerings, communicate with you and with service provides, tailor our marketing efforts, and for internal reporting purposes.
- Inferences From the Information Listed Above. We will use the information listed above to draw inferences about your preferences and characteristics to help us provide you with personalized content and offers and help us develop and provide better products and services.
- BlackPlanet Account Information and Social Posts. If you are a BlackPlanet user, you may need to provide certain basic details in order to set up your account (including things like your name, gender, and birth date). You may also choose to provide additional information about yourself, your personality, lifestyle, and interests when setting up your profile and interacting over BlackPlanet. If you choose to share information on BlackPlanet that may be “special” or “sensitive”—for example, information about your ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs—you consent to our processing that information. BlackPlanet is a public place where information you post may be accessed and used by others (including possibly by non-users) for their own purposes. Information you choose to post on BlackPlanet (including information in your public profile) is public; you post it at your sole risk. Please exercise caution and common sense in deciding what to share on BlackPlanet and in communicating with other users. If you don’t want something to be public, don’t share it with others because neither you nor we can control what other users choose to do with it.
- Audio and Visual Information. If you choose to share audiovisual content like photos or videos with us through our Services, we may collect that content. We may also record customer service telephone calls for quality purposes and to meet our legal obligations. If you choose to share videos or photos over BlackPlanet or elsewhere on our Services, you may need to allow us to access your camera or photo albums for that purpose.
- Privacy Choices. We receive and retain any opt-outs or other choices related to how we collect, us, and disclose Personal Information.
Information Third Parties Provide About You. We may, from time to time, supplement the information we collect about you online with outside records from third parties in order to enhance our ability to serve you, to tailor our content to you and to offer you opportunities to purchase products or services that we believe may be of interest to you. These third party sources include:
- Social Networks and Publicly Available Data. If you log on to the Urban One Services using a third party social media account (e.g., Facebook or Google), or if you interact with us through a social media function such as a plug-in (e.g., a Facebook “like” button) then you may be permitting us to have ongoing access to some information from your social network profile (such as your name, email address, your friend list, photo, age, gender, location, birthday, social networking ID, current city, and the people/sites you follow).
- Information That Is Collected from Marketing Partners, Data Providers and Ad Networks. We may collect information about you from marketing partners data providers, and ad networks, including but not limited to, personal identifiers, commercial information, and generally available information that helps us offer you products and services we think may interest you.
- Information Collected from Affiliates. We may collect information about you from Urban One affiliates’ websites, apps, and other places where we show you ads. We may collect information from these services such as personal identifiers, commercial information, and other generally available information.
- Information Other Users Provide about You. Other users may provide us your personal identifiers (such as your email address) or other information in order to invite you to use the Urban One Services or share an article or other content from the Urban One Services with you. In this case, we will only use the information for the purposes for which it was provided.
- Events. We may collect information about you from third parties that hold events on our behalf which you may attend or participate in. Such information may include personal identifiers and commercial information.
- Other Information We Collect. We also may collect other information about you, your device, or your use of the services in ways that we describe to you at the point of collection or otherwise with your consent. You may choose not to provide us with certain types of information, but doing so may affect your ability to use some of the Urban One Services.
Information We Get from Your Use of The Urban One Services. We collect information about the Urban One Services that you use and how you use them, like when you watch a video, view TV One through your television provider, open one of our newsletters, interact with us and other users over BlackPlanet, use the One VIP debit card to make purchases, or view and interact with our ads and content (collectively, “Usage Information”). We use this information to provide and improve our products and services, tailor your experience on and across our websites, apps, and other services, tailor our marketing efforts, and to create aggregate internal reports on website usage and activity, such as views of certain pages and content. Usage Information includes:
- Device Information. We collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information, including phone number).
- Browsing Information. This includes the URL that referred you to the Urban One Services, the areas within the Urban One Services that you visit, how long you spend on the Urban One Services, and the time of day of your visit.
- IP Address. An IP address is a string of numbers associated with the device you use to access the Internet, which may be used to identify and locate your network location or to infer your general location (e.g.zip code or state).
- Inferences from the information listed above. We may use the information listed above to draw inferences about your preferences and characteristics to help us provide you with personalized content and offers and help us develop and provide better products and services.
Automatic Collection of Information from Cookies and Other Technology. We and our partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit the Urban One Services, which we use for the same purposes as Usage Information and to help us understand and improve the usage of our websites and emails. This automatic information collection may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device:
- Cookies. A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some website features or services may not function properly without cookies.
- Mobile Identifiers. We may use software development kits (“SDKs”) or mobile advertising identifiers (i.e., IDFA on Apple mobile devices or Advertising ID on Android mobile devices), which function similarly to cookies on mobile devices. You may reset your IDFA or Advertising ID in the settings on your mobile device.
- Web Beacons. Small graphic images or other web programming code called web beacons (also known as “1×1 GIFs,” “one pixel GIFs,” or “clear GIFs”) may be included in our web pages and e-mail messages. Web beacons may be invisible to you, but any electronic image or other web programming code inserted into a web page or e-mail can act as a web beacon. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including, without limitation, to count visitors to the Urban One Services, to monitor how users navigate the Urban One Services, to make cookies more effective, to count how many e-mails that were sent were actually opened or to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
** Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, and how to disable existing cookies. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, or restrict the categories of cookies you wish to accept, you can consult the information at www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/.
Please note that rejecting cookies does not mean that you will no longer see ads when you visit the Urban One Services. Please note, however, that without cookies, you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the Urban One Services and some parts of the Urban One Services may not function properly.
Anonymous or Aggregated Information. We de-identify or aggregate data we receive and may use and disclose it for any business purpose.
Note Regarding Retention of Personal Information Collected Online. Urban One uses the following business and legal criteria in determining whether it may reasonably retain Personal Information and related records collected online (e.g., websites and mobile devices, online platforms, and user interactions with our advertisements): (i) applicable laws (including those mandating retention data and records for certain periods of time); (ii) the existence of an applicable legal hold or other substantial need to protect and defend the rights of Urban One, you, or any third party; (iii) our ongoing assessment of the currency of the data, the need to retain it in order to fulfil a contract or other agreement, or to meet our specific business requirements (including maintenance and improvement of any online Services); and (iv) our balancing of reasonable risk considerations related to the ongoing retention and use of specific categories of data.
How We Disclose Personal Information
Sharing Within Urban One and Across Our Family of Brands and Affiliates. We may share any of the Personal Information described above across the Urban One family of brands and affiliated companies, including Urban10 Media, Inc., iOne Digital, Radio One, Inc., Reach Media, Inc., TV One, LLC, Cleo TV, LLC, BlackPlanet, and BossipMadameNoire,LLC to help us better tailor our services, products and advertising to you. If you visit the Urban10 Media Services, you may receive advertising and other communications from one of our affiliated companies or any of their brands or platforms.
Outside Urban One:
- Service Providers. We share any of the Personal Information described above with service providers (including mailing and fulfillment vendors, payment processors, service-related technology providers, and sweepstakes/contest and survey administrators) that provide services to you and us, including to help us maintain our databases and websites, administer emails, display content, and analyze website usage activity. For example, we may provide your personal identifiers to print and communications vendors so they can send you communications on our behalf. We may also provide Personal Information, including personal identifiers, commercial information and Usage Information to our service providers for fraud detection.
- Other Third Parties. We may share your personal identifiers and commercial information with advertising partners that use various technologies to send (or serve) relevant ads to users on the Urban One Services, or on platforms or websites operated by third parties.
- Social Networks. You may interact with certain features of the Urban One Services that cause certain categories of Personal Information to be published to your social networks. To understand the precise categories of Personal Information shared in this manner, please review the privacy policies of the relevant social networks and/or log out of the applicable service before you use our online services.
- Co-branding Partners. Certain areas of the Urban One Services may be provided to you in association with third parties (“Co-Branded Areas”) and may require you to disclose Personal Information in order to register for and access products and/or services. Co-Branded Areas will identify the applicable third party associates. If you elect to register for products and/or services at Co-Branded Areas, you may be providing any Personal Information provided in a Co-Branded Area (such as personal identifiers or commercial information) to both Urban One and the third party.
- Sweepstakes, Contests, and Promotions. Urban One Services may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions (a “Promotion”) that may require registration. By participating in a Promotion, you are agreeing to the terms, conditions or official rules that govern that Promotion, which may contain specific requirements of you, including, except where prohibited by law, allowing the sponsor(s) of the Promotion to use your name, voice and/or likeness in advertising or marketing associated with the Promotion. If you choose to enter a Promotion, Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, including, without limitation, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law or permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, such as on a winners list.
- Business Transfers. In the event of a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, sale of company assets (whether by private sale, through operation of law, as part of a divestiture plan, or otherwise), your Personal Information, and any other information that we have collected about the users of the Urban One Services, may be disclosed to the persons and/or entities assuming control of the relevant business unit or as otherwise necessary to complete the transaction as permitted by law or contract.
- Legal and Similar Disclosures. We may disclose Personal Information about you with law enforcement, the courts, our advisors, attorneys, and others who participate in the legal process, if necessary to do so by law or based on our good faith belief that it is necessary to enforce or apply our contracts, conform or comply with the law or is necessary to protect us, the users of the websites, or others.
Your Rights and Opt-Out Choices
We offer you choices regarding the collection, use, and sharing of your Personal Information. In addition to the information provided below, please visit our AllSpice Blog Privacy Center for more information about how to exercise your rights and privacy preferences.
- Update or Delete Your BlackPlanet Account information. If you are a BlackPlanet member and wish to verify, correct, update or delete the Personal Information provided to us in connection with your use of our Urban One Service located at www.blackplanet.com, you may do so by visiting your BlackPlanet Account Page and updating or editing your information. Please note that we may be required or permitted (by applicable law or otherwise) to keep certain information and not delete it, in which case we will comply with your deletion request only if it does not conflict with another right or obligation.
- Opt-out of Targeted Advertising. If you prefer to not receive targeted advertising, you can opt-out of some network advertising programs that use your information. Below are steps you can take to opt-out of certain targeted advertising:
- Visit the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) Opt-Out Page (http://www.aboutads.info/choices). The DAA Opt-Out Page provides a tool that identifies its member companies that have Cookies on your browser and provides links to those companies.
- If you are using one of our mobile applications, you can download App Choices (http://youradchoices.com/appchoices), which will allow you to opt-out of in-app tracking. You can also adjust the privacy settings on your mobile device by visiting the settings tab. If you wish to opt-out of cross-device tracking, you will need to opt-out of in app tracking on all of your devices.
- Update the privacy settings in the Help section of your browser, or in the Settings tab on your mobile device.
- You may also click on the Ad Choices icon in the advertisement.
- You may opt out of additional third party advertising networks by going to the Network Advertising Initiative’s Website (http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp) and following the directions provided.
- Additionally, many network advertising programs allow you to view and manage the interest categories they have compiled from your online browsing activities. These interest categories help determine the types of targeted advertisements you may receive.
Please note that even if you choose to remove your information or “opt-out,” you may continue to see advertisements while you are browsing online; however, those advertisements will no longer be tailored to your interests. Additionally, information regarding your usage of our services may still be collected for research, analytics or internal operations purposes. We are not responsible for the effectiveness of any such opt-out options.
Notice of California Privacy Rights
Under the California law, California residents have the right to request:
- to know the Personal Information we have about them (categories and specific information)
- correct inaccurate Personal Information
- that we opt them out of the “sale” or “sharing” of their Personal Information (“Right to Opt Out”) as defined under California law, which can be done at the below “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” link
- the deletion of Personal Information
California residents also have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment if they exercise the rights list above. As noted above, Urban One does not knowingly try to gather sensitive categories of data about individual users (in California, “Sensitive Personal Information”) or engage in profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning individuals users (in California, “Automated Decision-Making”).
California minors under 18 years old may request the removal of any information that they post to the Urban One Services by contacting us at [email protected]. Upon such request, Urban One will anonymize, or remove from public view, any content posted by a minor to one of its websites, unless required by law to retain such content or information.
Urban One does not currently take actions to respond to “Do Not Track” signals because a uniform technological standard has not yet been developed. We continue to review new technologies and may adopt a standard once one is created.
Under California’s “Shine the Light” law, California residents who provide certain personal information (as defined by California Civil Code §1798.83) in obtaining products or services for personal, family, or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us once a calendar year information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information shared, the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year, and descriptions of the likely types of marketing the third parties would send.
To obtain this information from us, please contact us using the “How to Contact Us” information below with “Request for California Privacy Information” on the subject line and in the body of your message. If you are a California resident, we will provide the requested information to you at your email address in response.
Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by the “Shine the Light” requirements, and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
Notice of Nevada Privacy Rights
We do not sell consumers’ covered information for monetary consideration (as defined in Chapter 603A of the Nevada Revised Statutes). However, if you are a Nevada resident, you have the right to submit a request directing us not to sell your Personal Information. To submit such a request, please contact us using the information in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
Submitting Privacy Rights Request (Where Eligible)
Some U.S. states have privacy laws that grant residents the right to make requests regarding how their personal information is collected, used, and shared. Urban One seeks to comply with applicable law and to respect the wishes of its users.
When you submit a request, we may require that you provide information and follow procedures so that we can verify the request and your jurisdiction before responding to it. The verification steps we take may differ depending on the request you make and the information we have about you. We will match the information that you provide in your request to information we already have on file to verify your identity. Please provide as much of the requested information as possible. We will only use the information received in a request for the purposes of responding to the request. If we cannot verify your request, we may ask you for additional information.
Where permitted by law, you may submit a request through an authorized agent or other legal representative. We require the authorized agents to provide proof of written permission showing the authorized agent has authority to submit a request. An authorized agent must follow the process described below to make a request. We may additionally require the authorized agent to verify his/her own identity. At this time we are able to accept the following requests from residents of California and
Exercising the Rights to Request Deletion, to Know (Access) Information, and to Correct Inaccurate Information
Eligible persons may exercise their deletion, access, and correction rights by:
- Visiting the Urban One Privacy Center which will provide access to the web form for submitting Right to Know and Right to Delete and [Right to Correct rights requests
- Emailing us at [email protected]
- Calling us at 1-833-975-2244
Exercising the Right to Opt Out of the Selling or Sharing of Personal Information
Eligible persons may exercise their right to opt out by:
- Clicking here: DO NOT SELL OR SHARE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Calling us at 1-833-975-2244
- Emailing us at [email protected]
You may submit a request to opt out through an authorized agent. If you do so, we will follow the same verification procedures as described above for requests for deletion, access, and correction.
Consent to Processing and Transfer of Information
Urban One is a United States company and the Urban One Services are provided from the United States. If you are a user who resides outside the United States, please be aware that information we collect will be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using the Urban One Services, or providing us with any information, you consent to the collection, processing, maintenance and transfer of such information in and to the United States and other applicable countries in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as, or equivalent to, those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen.
How We Protect Your Information
We maintain procedural, technical, and physical safeguards to help protect against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction of the Personal Information you provide via the Urban One Services. Unfortunately, no transmission of data is guaranteed to be completely secure. It may be possible for third parties not under our control to intercept or access transmissions or private communications unlawfully. Therefore, any transmission of Personal Information to us is made at your own risk. If you believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please notify us using the contact details below.
Third Party Links
Rights of Minors
Except where otherwise indicated, we do not knowingly collect or store any Personal Information from children under the age of 13. Parents or guardians who believe their child under the age of 13 has provided us with information without parental consent should contact us at [email protected] so that we can take steps to delete the information within a reasonable time.
From time to time, we may revise this Policy to reflect changes in the law or technology, or changes in our practices regarding information collection and use. If we make material revisions to the way we collect or use your Personal Information so that we are using it for purposes or sharing data with third parties that you have not consented to, we will provide you with notice of those changes and may do so by announcing the change through the Urban One Services. You agree that we may notify you about material changes in the way we treat Personal Information by placing a notice on the Urban One Services. You should check our online services frequently for updates.
Any changes to this Policy will become effective as of the Effective Date on the top of this page. By continuing to use the Urban One Services after the most current Effective Date, you will be deemed to have agreed to such changes. If you do not agree with the terms of this Policy, as it may be amended from time to time, in whole or in part, please do not continue to use the Urban One Services.
This Policy may be supplemented by additional terms, privacy statements, or notices that explain how we collect, use and share information in specific circumstances (“Additional Terms”). For example, Additional Terms explain how Urban One and its service providers collect and use information related to the One VIP Debit Card (www.onevip.com), including information you share with us as a participant in our cardholder loyalty program. Other Additional Terms may contain details about how we collect Personal Information in specific contexts, like our collection of resume and career interest information at diversity job centers or when you sign up for specific contests and sweepstakes.