Pumpkin Swirl Pie
If you’re here, reading this now, then it’s safe to say you are a pumpkin swirl pie fan and you’re looking forward to this recipe with excitement, yeah?
Pumpkin pie on its own is a classic favorite. Pumpkin swirl pie is a delectable dessert that combines the rich flavors of pumpkin with a luscious, creamy filling. This classic autumn delicacy has been enjoyed for generations, and its warm and comforting taste has become synonymous with the fall season.
In this article, we will explore the history of pumpkin swirl pie, provide step-by-step instructions on how to make it, suggest reasons why you should try it out, recommend delightful toppings, and share the estimated calorie content of this delightful treat.
A Brief History:
The origins of pumpkin swirl pie can be traced back to early American settlers who relied heavily on pumpkins during the fall harvest. Pumpkins were plentiful and versatile, making them an ideal ingredient for various dishes. Over time, pumpkin pie became a staple dessert during Thanksgiving and other autumn celebrations.
The addition of a swirl filling, usually cream cheese or caramel further elevated the pie’s taste and texture. Today, this recipe continues to be a beloved dessert enjoyed by people of all ages.
Pumpkin Swirl Pie
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Plastic wrap
- 1 Baking oven
- Parchment paper
- 1 Butter knife or skewer
For the crust:
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
Preparing the Crust:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the chilled, cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to incorporate it into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
Rolling the Crust:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled dough into a 12-inch circle. Carefully transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie dish, pressing it gently to fit the bottom and sides.
- Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges and crimp the edges using your preferred method.
Pre-baking the Crust:
- Line the pie crust with parchment paper and fill it with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes to prevent it from becoming soggy.
Preparing the Filling:
- In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Mix until well combined. In a separate bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
Assembling the Pie:
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the pre-baked pie crust, spreading it evenly. Drop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture onto the pumpkin filling.
- Use a butter knife or a skewer to gently swirl the two fillings together, creating a marbled effect.
Baking the Pie:
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
- Once done, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve your pumpkin swirl pie as is, or enhance its flavor with various toppings. Some popular options include whipped cream, caramel sauce, chopped pecans, or a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
Pumpkin swirl pie is a delightful dessert that encapsulates the essence of autumn. Its rich, spiced pumpkin filling combined with the creamy swirls of cream cheese creates a harmony of flavors that is simply irresistible. Whether enjoyed as a Thanksgiving treat or as a comforting fall dessert, this recipe is sure to impress.
So, gather your ingredients, follow the step-by-step instructions, and savor each delicious bite of this timeless autumn delight.
YouTube Video Credits: