Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Recipe
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken, also known as Murgh Makhani, is a beloved Indian dish that has won hearts worldwide with its rich and creamy tomato-based sauce and tender, succulent chicken pieces. This flavorful recipe traces its origins to the bustling streets of Delhi, India, where it was first created by Kundan Lal Gujral in the early 20th century. Originally known as “Murgh Makhani,” which translates to “Butter Chicken” in Hindi, this dish has since become a global favorite, gracing the tables of homes and restaurants across continents.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker/Crock-Pot
For the Marinade:
- 1.5 pounds (680g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
For the Sauce:
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to your preferred spice level)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Marinate the Chicken:In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken pieces with yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala, turmeric powder, chili powder, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly until all the chicken pieces are coated with the marinade. Cover the bowl and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (overnight is best for enhanced flavor).
- Sauté Onions, Garlic, and Ginger:Heat a pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of cooking oil. Sauté the chopped onions until they turn translucent. Add the minced garlic and grated ginger, and continue to cook for another 2 minutes until fragrant. Transfer this mixture to your slow cooker.
- Blend Tomatoes and Prepare the Sauce:In a blender, puree the diced tomatoes until smooth. Pour the tomato puree into the slow cooker with the onion-garlic-ginger mixture. Add the tomato paste, garam masala, ground cumin, ground coriander, chili powder, and a pinch of salt. Mix everything well.
- Add the Marinated Chicken:Retrieve the marinated chicken from the refrigerator and add it to the slow cooker with the sauce. Stir gently to ensure the chicken is well-coated with the sauce.
- Cook in the Slow Cooker:Cover the slow cooker with its lid and set it to cook on low heat for 4 to 6 hours or on high heat for 2 to 3 hours. The longer cooking time will allow the flavors to meld, resulting in a more aromatic and tender dish.
- Finish with Butter and Cream:Once the chicken is cooked, add the cubes of unsalted butter and heavy cream to the slow cooker. Stir well until the butter is fully melted and incorporated into the sauce. This step gives the dish its characteristic creamy texture.
- Serve:Garnish the Slow Cooker Butter Chicken with fresh cilantro leaves. It pairs wonderfully with steamed rice, naan, or roti.
If you enjoyed the Slow Cooker Butter Chicken and wish to explore more Indian delicacies, here are some similar recipes you might like to try:
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala: Tender chicken pieces cooked in a creamy tomato-based sauce with aromatic spices.
A delightful vegetarian option with mixed vegetables in a rich, coconut-based sauce. Slow Cooker Vegetable Korma:
Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh: Tender lamb cooked to perfection in a flavorful and spicy gravy.
Indulge in the exotic flavors of India with this easy-to-make Slow Cooker Butter Chicken recipe. The tender chicken and luscious tomato-based sauce will leave you craving for more. Gather your ingredients, set up your slow cooker, and let the magic unfold as you savor this classic Indian dish. Enjoy it with friends and family, and discover the joy of creating authentic flavors in the comfort of your own kitchen!
Try it out today and experience the ultimate comfort of Slow Cooker Butter Chicken! For more delicious recipes and culinary inspiration, subscribe to our food blog and join our community of food enthusiasts. Don’t forget to share your experiences and feedback in the comments section below. Happy cooking!
Frequently Asked Questions About Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
1. What is Slow Cooker Butter Chicken?
Tender chicken pieces are cooked gently in a rich, spiced tomato-based sauce to create the fragrant and creamy Slow Cooker Butter Chicken, an Indian-inspired recipe.
2. What cuts of chicken work best for Slow Cooker Butter Chicken?
For Slow Cooker Butter Chicken, boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts are frequently used. Due of their sensitivity, thighs are frequently chosen.
3. How long does Slow Cooker Butter Chicken take to cook?
While there are variations in cooking periods, Slow Cooker Butter Chicken usually cooks for 4-6 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high, enabling the flavors to infuse and the chicken to get soft.
4. Can I use frozen chicken in Slow Cooker Butter Chicken?
For reasons related to food safety, using frozen chicken in a slow cooker is not advised. Thoroughly thaw the chicken before putting it in the slow cooker.
5. What spices are commonly used in the sauce for Slow Cooker Butter Chicken?
Turmeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala, and cayenne pepper are examples of common spices. These spices add to the dish’s flavor, which is deep and fragrant.
6. Is Slow Cooker Butter Chicken spicy?
You can change the amount of spice to suit your own taste. Chili powder or a different amount of cayenne pepper can be added to vary the intensity.
7. Can I make Slow Cooker Butter Chicken ahead of time?
It is possible to prepare Slow Cooker Butter Chicken in advance. The slow cooker insert can be used to construct and then refrigerate overnight. Next day, turn on the slow cooker.
8. What can I serve with Slow Cooker Butter Chicken?
Naan bread or basmati rice are typical accompaniments for Slow Cooker Butter Chicken. It is a great dish to serve with fresh salad, sautéed veggies, or cucumber raita.
9. Can I make Slow Cooker Butter Chicken dairy-free?
Yes, you may make a dairy-free version by replacing the cream with plant-based milk or coconut milk. Traditional butter can be replaced with vegan oil or butter.
10. What vegetables can be added to Slow Cooker Butter Chicken?
To increase the nutritional value of Slow Cooker Butter Chicken, you can, though it’s not customary, add veggies such bell peppers, peas, or spinach.
11. Can I freeze Slow Cooker Butter Chicken?
In general, Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is suitable for freezing. Before putting it in sealed containers, let it cool fully. Before serving, thaw and warm through.
12. Can I make Slow Cooker Butter Chicken on the stovetop?
In order to cook the chicken on the stovetop, simply stew the ingredients in a pot over low heat until they are cooked through.
YouTube Video Credits: