Hey there, foodies and cookie lovers! Today, we’re diving into the delightful world of Jam Thumbprint Cookie Recipe. These little drops of heaven have a fascinating history, are easy to make, and are perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings. Join us as we take a journey into the origins of this classic treat and provide you with a step-by-step recipe to recreate them in your own kitchen.
A Bite of History:
Jam Thumbprint Cookies have a charming history that dates back to Scandinavia. They were originally known as “Hallingkake,” made in the Hallingdal region of Norway. These cookies gained popularity in the United States during the 19th century and became a cherished addition to holiday cookie trays. Today, they’re enjoyed worldwide as a timeless favorite.
Jam Thumbprint Cookie Recipe
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Your favorite fruit jam (raspberry, strawberry, or apricot work great)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line your baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined.In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on the prepared baking sheets.
- Make an indentation in the center of each cookie with your thumb (hence the name!).
- Fill each indentation with a small spoonful of your favorite jam.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Variations and Serving Ideas:
- Experiment with different jams for a variety of flavors.
- Dust your cookies with powdered sugar for a sweet finish.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the cooled cookies for an extra indulgent touch.
There you have it – a scrumptious batch of Jam Thumbprint Cookies ready to be devoured! Whether you’re baking these for a special occasion or just to satisfy your sweet cravings, they’re sure to be a hit. Happy baking!
YouTube Video Credits: